This Roasted Vegetable Soup is packed full of delicious flavour, made from roasted squash, red pepper, eggplant and garlic.
How are you all? Happy I guess, it's Friday woohoo!
This week I've been cooking for one, ughh I hate eating alone it's one thing that should always be enjoyed with your nearest and dearest. So since Nathan is still working away I've been making meals that I can easily store any leftovers afterwards. This Roasted Vegetable Soup is perfect for that because it can be frozen in plastic containers and brought out on a rainy day when you need something warming and comforting.
I absolutely adore roasted vegetables of any kind so I knew this soup would have beautiful flavours. I chose to use butternut squash (a favourite of mine), red pepper, eggplant/aubergine and of course garlic!
All the vegetables are roughly chopped then placed in a lined baking tray with some thyme leaves, seasoning and olive oil. I wrapped five garlic cloves in tin foil with a tiny drizzle of olive oil and roast it in the oven along side the veg until cooked through and delicious.
Meanwhile I sautéd one leek and red onion in a large pot until soft, added the roasted vegetables, garlic (removed from their skins) and water then let it simmer for 30 minutes.
The soup is then blitzed with a hand held blender until completely smooth and seasoned to taste with salt and pepper. When serving I top with grated pecorino cheese and extra pepper, the pecorino adds saltiness to the sweet vegetables and gives the soup such a wonderful flavour.
Like all soup this is perfect with big chunks of crusty bread for dunking, yum!
If you've tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST;to see more delicious food and what I'm getting up to.
Roasted Vegetable Soup
- 1 red pepper
- 1 lb (450g) Butternut squash
- 1 leek
- 1 red onion
- 1 small eggplant/aubergine
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ tablespoon thyme leave plus extra for garnish
- Pecorino cheese for serving
- 4 ¼ cups (34 fl ounces/ 1 litre) water
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Using a knife, remove most of the eggplant skin (it doesn’t need to be perfect). Roughly chop the squash, eggplant and red pepper into medium sized pieces and add to a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Add the thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper then drizzle with 4 tablespoon of olive oil, rub the oil all over the veg.
- Wrap the garlic cloves (in their skins) in tin foil with a tiny drizzle of olive oil. Roast the vegetables and the garlic in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked through.
- Finely slice the leek and red onion. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot under a low/medium heat and sauté until soft but not browned. Add the roasted vegetables and water. Simmer for 30 minutes then blitz with a hand held blender until completely smooth, season to taste.
- Serve in large bowls with grated pecorino cheese and an extra dusting of pepper and thyme leaves.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use Cirio or Mutti brands for the best results and flavour.
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated.
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples.
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking.