These fun Valentine's Caprese Skewers are a perfect fuss free appetizer using classic Italian ingredients, you can't go wrong!
Hey all 🙂
I have a little fun appetizer for you today. How cute are these Valentine's Caprese Skewers?
When it comes to classic Italian flavours you really cannot go wrong and these caprese skewers are totally fool proof!
What are your plans for tomorrow? Nathan is travelling to Turkey for work so I'll be having a candle lit dinner with my little pooch 🙂 I think I'll make myself a little steak dinner and watch movies in my jammies with plenty puppy cuddles. That don't sound too bad to me.
Our anniversary was last week and we celebrated with a delicious home cooked meal. We recreated the first meal Nathan ever cooked for me. Chicken meatballs in a mouth watering tomato sauce. It was SO good and these little caprese skewers went perfectly as our appetizer with a little glass of bubbly!
So I'm not too bummed out that we won't be spending Valentine's together...it gives us an excuse to celebrate when he gets back 🙂
To make the heart shape I cut the tomatoes in half at an angle and then turned one side upside down. It makes a perfect little tomato heart, they're adorable!
To make the skewers it couldn't be simpler...
mini mozzarella balls
are all you need plus a little seasoning and a tiny drizzle of olive oil which I'm sure you all already have in your kitchen, right?
place the tomato hearts through the skewers followed by a mozzarella ball and basil leaf. Arrange on a serving plate and sprinkle over a little salt and pepper followed by a drizzle of olive oil.
Simple and delicious!
If you've tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I'm getting up to.
Valentine's Caprese Skewers
- 10 roma tomatoes
- 10 mini mozzarella balls
- 10 leaves basil
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 toothpicks/skewers
- Cut one tomato in half at a slanted angle (imagine one half of a love heart). Turn one half upside down and place the tomato back together to resemble a heart. Place on the skewer then repeat with the remaining tomatoes.
- Add one mozzarella ball to each skewer followed by a bail leaf. Place on a serving plate and season the skewers with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated.
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples.
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking.