A delicious and easy Farro Salad recipe made with tomatoes, radish and herbs. It’s perfect for lunch or as a healthy side dish.
I hope you’ve all been having a great week so far?
I’ve been busy getting organised for Nathan’s family coming over from Scotland tomorrow. As well as cleaning the house, washing bedding and organising bedrooms I’ve been planning lots of yummy, easy meals for the week ahead.
This farro salad is on the list of easy lunch recipes. I love farro, it’s an ancient Italian grain that’s very similar to spelt or barley. It has a chewy texture and nutty flavour and is SO incredibly good for you as well as being very easy to prepare.
To make farro it’s simply boiled in salted water for around 15-20 minutes until it’s tender. That’s it, just like boiling pasta it’s so simple.
The grain soaks up all the beautiful flavours that are put into the farro salad. In this recipe, I opted for lemon juice, olive oil, parsley and basil for the dressing and added cherry tomatoes, red onion and radishes (which I love). The flavours are simple and fresh, just how I like this salad to be.
You can add whatever you want to a farro salad such as cucumber, chickpeas, peppers, mozzarella or even feta cheese. Farro is a great, delicious and healthy base for adding whatever veggies you have in your fridge or feel like that day and I often mix it up with different flavours and textures. It’s also a great side dish for barbecues in the summer especially because it can be prepared in advance and any leftovers are great for lunch the next day.
I can see myself eating a lot of farro salad this Summer it’s proper feel good food and I hope you love it too!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTERESTto see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Farro Salad with tomatoes, radish and herbs
- ~1 1/4 cups (250g) Farro
- ~7 ounces (200g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 3 radishes
- 1 large handful of basil
- 1 large handful of parsley
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to season
- Put the farro in a large sauce pan, cover with plenty salted water and bring to a boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes until tender, drain and cool.
- Add the lemon, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper into a large bowl and mix to combine. Finely chop the basil and parsley and add to the bowl, stir.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the bowl. Finely chop the red onion and finely slice the radishes and add that to the bowl along with the cooled farro. Mix everything together to combine. Check for seasoning and add more if required. Serve.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Read more about how the nutritional information is calculated here