These delicious Italian stuffed peppers are stuffed with anchovies, garlic, basil and cherry tomatoes. A super easy and speedy lunch or dinner that you'll love!
I love these Italian stuffed peppers!
Even if you're not an anchovy lover you'll still enjoy these stuffed peppers. The anchovies add delicious flavour and in no way taste 'fishy' or overly salty. Trust me.
This dish originates from the Piedmont region and it's basically a foolproof recipe. Beautiful red peppers are stuffed with only four ingredients, anchovies, garlic, basil and cherry tomatoes.....and of course the obligatory olive oil, salt and pepper.
Pssst.....I did kinda burn the edge of one pepper, oops I left them in the oven a tad too long but ah well I'm not ashamed to admit I burn things..occasionally.
These Italian stuffed peppers are just as delicious hot or cold and make a great, healthy meal paired with a salad such as this farro salad. Swap the tomatoes in this salad for another veg such as zucchini, cucumber or even tuna and feta (which I love) and you'll have one tasty meal indeed! I even love this just with a large handful of arugula/rocket, balsamic vinegar and shavings of parmesan.
The great thing about stuffed peppers is they can be prepped in advance. Stuff these the night before (not that it takes long anyway) and then pop them in the oven when you're ready to eat the next day, it couldn't be simpler. You know I love a simple and speedy meal....and there's a bonus that it's healthy too!
These Italian stuffed peppers serve two as a main or four with salad. This recipe can easily be doubled to serve four as a main (one pepper each) just remember to increase the cooking time to 45 minutes to one hour.
If you've tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTERESTto see more delicious food and what I'm getting up to.
Italian Stuffed Peppers with Tomatoes and Anchovies
- 2 red peppers
- ~1 ½ cups (300g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic glove
- 4 anchovies
- 4 large basil leaves
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F/gas mark 4. Cut the peppers in half and remove the white and seeds inside. Rub the peppers lightly in olive oil and place in a baking dish.
- Finely slice the garlic clove and add equal slices into each pepper half. Add one anchovy fillet torn up into pieces to each pepper then add a torn up basil leaf.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Stuff each pepper with the tomatoes.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the peppers are soft. Serve hot or cold with salad.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated.
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples.
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking.