These two ingredient stracchino and sausage crostini are so simple and crazy delicious. Tangy, soft cheese is mixed with Italian sausage and spread on some thick crusty bread.
Stracchino and sausage is such a classic combo here in Italy. It's used to be spread on thick crusty bread and is then baked in the oven until the cheese has melted and the sausage is cooked through. Serve this hot as a snack, lunch or antipasto.
Stracchino cheese also known as Crescenza is such a delicious and creamy soft cheese with a delicate tangy flavour. Mix it with good quality Italian sausages and you'll be in heaven, trust me.
I also used this combo to stuff these sweet mini peppers and they are insanely good!
You should be able to find stracchino cheese at a good Italian speciality food store or online if it's not readily available. It's so worth hunting it down just to make these sausage crostini.
So really this isn't a recipe, it's more of an assembly which means it's quick, yay! The sausages are removed from their casings and mixed with the stracchino cheese in a bowl. I use a fork to mash it all together because it's quite a sticky mixture.
Spread it on some thick crusty bread and bake it in the oven for around 15 minutes. The cheese should be melted and starting to brown and the sausage cooked through. So damn good.
This is so easy to whip up at lunch time or as an antipasto with a glass of red vino. Enjoy!
If you've tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTERESTto see more delicious food and what I'm getting up to.
Stracchino and Sausage Crostini
- 3 Italian sausages
- 6.3 oz (180g) stracchino cheese
- 12 slices crusty bread
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F/gas mark 4. Remove the sausages from their casings and add to a bowl with the stracchino cheese. Mash everything together with a fork until thoroughly combined.
- Spread on top of the crusty bread slices, place on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted, starting to brown and the sausage is cooked through. Serve hot.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated here
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples here
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking here