A quick and easy Tuscan bean stew made with Italian sausages, cannellini beans, tomato, sage, and garlic. It's hearty, filling and just what you need to warm yourself up on a chilly evening.
You won't believe how easy this bean stew is, the cannellini beans are already pre-cooked (the ones you buy in cans) so there's not much "stewing" involved in this stew. But don't let that fool you, it's jam packed with so much delicious flavour it's one of my favourite winter recipes.
How to make Tuscan Bean Stew with Sausages
Make sure you have good quality sausages, the ones I buy at the supermarket have fennel seeds, garlic, red wine and rosemary in them. They are SO delicious, if you can get ahold of good quality Italian sausages then those are the best for this.
- Cannellini beans
- Sage leaves
- Passata/pureed tomatoes
- Pantry ingredients - olive oil, salt and pepper
Incredibly simple ingredients, right?
Step by step instructions
Start by adding ½ tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot with two peeled whole garlic cloves and 5 sage leaves. Lightly fry the sage and garlic until the garlic starts to take on colour.
Add the beans with some of the cooking liquid (save this from the can) and add the tomato passata.
Let the beans simmer for around 10 minutes then add the sausages. You want to remove the skins from the sausages and cut them into rough chunks, I normally cut each sausage into three.
Season with a salt and pepper and continue to simmer the bean stew gently until the sausages are cooked through. Stir it every so often but be careful not to mash up the beans. Remove the garlic cloves when it's ready.
Serve the bean stew with salad and crusty bread for dipping. This is proper comfort food, I love this when I need something hearty and comforting but I don't have a lot of time or I'm already really hungry.
More comfort food recipes;
- Eggplant (aubergine) parmigiana
- comforting zucchini potato soup
- Apple olive oil cake
- Pappa al pomodoro - tomato bread soup
If you've tried this or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I'm getting up to.
Tuscan Bean Stew with Sausages
- Add the olive oil to a large pot on a medium/low heat. Peel the garlic cloves but keep whole and add them to the pot with the sage leaves.
- When the garlic starts to take on some colour add the beans with 6 tablespoon of their cooking liquid and the passata (pureed tomatoes).
- Let the beans simmer for around 10 minutes. Cut each sausage into three then add them to the beans.
- Season with a salt and pepper and continue to simmer the bean stew gently until the sausages are cooked through (around 15-20 minutes). Stir it every so often but be careful not to mash up the beans.
- Once ready, remove the garlic cloves and serve. Serve with salad and crusty bread.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated.
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples.
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking.