This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
These Carrot Cake Doughnuts with Maple Frosting are baked to perfection with warming spices and topped with a delicious cream cheese maple icing.
Happy Monday 🙂
How cute are these carrot cake doughnuts with maple frosting?
I mean seriously, how cute?
After my rather hectic week last week I decided to have some baking fun, sprinkles and all and this is what happened. I decided to make baked doughnuts using a doughnut pan and my favourite cake batter. My absolute favourite cake might surprise you because it’s not ooey gooey chocolate cake or laden with jam and cream. My favourite cake without a doubt is carrot cake, full of warming spices and topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting.
Now, I am aware I don’t have very many cake recipes on the blog, mainly because I’m much more of a savoury than sweet kinda gal (not to mention I’m still a newbie blogger) and that I already have posted a carrot cake recipe. That being said I’m on a mission this year to bake more and that includes lots of yummy cakes so I’ll have much more to share with you throughout the year.
My reason to having two carrot cake recipes on the blog already? Well, as I said I love carrot cake and my previous recipe mini coconut and carrot cakes is different to these adorable carrot cake doughnuts.
And anyway you can never have too much carrot cake, right?
Baked doughnuts are so much fun to make, honestly if you don’t have a doughnut pan yet then you NEED to get one asap! They look so impressive when they come out the oven and of course will taste utterly delicious.
These carrot cake doughnuts with maple frosting are also so so perfect for Valentine’s right? I saw the cutest heart shaped sprinkles in the supermarket and thought they’d be perfect to sprinkle over a yummy Valentine’s treat so forget the chocolates and make doughnuts instead!
You can buy the doughnut pan I used to make this recipe on Amazon as well as other products that I love and recommend!
Carrot cake doughnuts with maple frosting recipe
- 200 g carrots grated
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Zest of 1 orange
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 3 large free range eggs
- Juice of 1 orange
- 200 g cream cheese
- 220 g light brown icing/powder sugar (normal will do)
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 40 g butter softened plus extra for greasing
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Put all the wet ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Add all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold everything together with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Grease the doughnut pan with a little butter and then spoon the mixture into the moulds. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Add all the frosting ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric mixer for around 5 minutes. Once the doughnuts are cool top with the frosting and decorate with sprinkles.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated here
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples here
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking here
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.