Italian green beans in tomato sauce is a simple and super delicious side dish that’s perfect alongside grilled or roasted meats or fish.
If you’re looking for a Summer side dish then look no further, these Italian green beans are the perfect accompaniment to all kinds of meals. Cooked in a simple tomato sauce with garlic, onion, and fennel seeds. They’re simple, easy to make and so delicious!
Ok, first things first.
I’d love to get to know you all so why not let me know what your favourite side dish is in the comments below or send me an email? In fact, let’s just chat about anything foodie…what you’d like to see on the site, what’s one meal or food item you couldn’t live without? Ha, I could talk about food all day long and I pretty much do.
Seriously let’s talk about anything!
Right, back to these yummy green beans…
This green bean side dish originates from Florence (fagiolini in umido). I love these flat green beans (taccole in Italian) for look and texture but you can use any type of green beans, whatever ones you prefer or are available. I often make this for barbecues (p.s the leftovers are amazing) or as a light side dish alongside some roast potatoes or salad.
To make the simple tomato sauce, saute finely chopped red onion and garlic, fennel seeds and oregano for a few minutes until translucent whilst continuously stirring you don’t want to let it brown. Add canned chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, and a little water and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Top and tail the green beans and cut them in half or thirds then add them to the tomato sauce. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes until tender adding a little extra water if the sauce starts to dry out.
Done and done!
Oh, how I love a simple recipe and another reason why I love Italian food so much. There are so many simple recipes using few ingredients yet taste incredible. Fresh, high-quality ingredients are key, as always.
Hope you enjoyed today’s recipe, ciao!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
For more delicious side dishes try;
Italian Green Beans in Tomato Sauce
- Finely chop the garlic and red onion. Add to a pan with the oregano, fennel seeds and 1 tbsp of olive oil and saute until translucent (don't let it brown).
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water, and a pinch of salt and pepper, let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Top and tail the green beans then cut in half or thirds. Add the beans to the tomato sauce and simmer for another 5-10 minutes until tender. Add extra water if the sauce starts to dry out.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated here
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples here
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking here