Watermelon basil salad with mint, creamy goats cheese and balsamic glaze. This is a super quick summer salad that's so light and refreshing.
Summer time is all about watermelon, it's a perfect snack that is super tasty, sweet and refreshing. It's literally like taking a drink of delicious fruit juice when you bite into it. It's also perfect with creamy goats cheese, balsamic glaze and fresh herbs such as basil and mint. This salad has it all and it's ready in under 10 minutes.
I see watermelon everywhere here in Tuscany at this time of year. You can find market stalls and supermarkets filled with all different sizes of from little baby watermelon to humongous giants. I think the done thing here is to just cut a massive slice for you to sink your teeth into and quench your thirst on a long hot day and I have to say sometimes there's nothing better.
I also love to scoop it into little balls using a melon ball scope and freeze them as ice cubes. I add them to summer cocktails, drinks or just to eat and cool down. There are so many ways to eat watermelon, I love it, what's your favourite way?
The goats cheese and balsamic glaze go perfectly with this watermelon basil salad it's a mixture of tangy, sweet and sour flavours along with the fresh, juicy watermelon wedges and fragrant basil and mint. I give this salad a tiny drizzle of olive oil and a little sprinkling of salt and pepper and it's done. It doesn't need much, just simple ingredients that pack a punch.
I hope you enjoy this easy summer salad recipe. If your looking for more easy salads why not try;
- Roasted strawberries and peach caprese salad
- Tuna panzanella - Italian bread salad
- Farro salad with tomatoes, radish and herbs
- Cannellini bean and tuna salad
- Melon, prosciutto and courgette/zucchini salad
- Green bean salad with mustard and garlic dressing
If you've tried this watermelon basil salad or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I'm getting up to.
Watermelon and goats cheese salad
- 1.7 lbs (800g) watermelon
- 5.2 oz (150g) goats cheese
- 1 large handful of basil
- 1 large handful of mint
- 3-4 teaspoon balsamic glaze
- 1 pinch salt and pepper , to season
- olive oil , to drizzle
- Chop the watermelon up into small chunks of triangles and place on serving plates. Divide the goats cheese and scatter on top of the watermelon.
- Finely chop the mint and basil and scatter over the salad. Drizzle over a little balsamic glaze on each salad and finish with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated.
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples.
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking.