Thick slices of white crusty bread, slathered with butter and topped with salted anchovies. The simplest snack or antipasto that you can whip up in no time. Serve with an aperitivo cocktail or glass of vino!
Pane, Burro e Alice is a classic Italian snack or antipasto and it couldn't be quicker or easier!
Soft, white crusty bread slathered with creamy butter and topped with a salted anchovy. It's so simple and delicious, perfect served with an aperitivo cocktail like an Aperol Spritz, Negroni, or Americano.
I can hardly call this a recipe but one top tip to bear in mind is to use the highest quality ingredients available to you.
Ingredients - what you need
See the photo below that shows you everything you need to make this recipe plus some important tips on ingredients!
- Butter - make sure it's at room temperature and don't use salted butter.
- Anchovies - canned or jarred good quality salted anchovies (one per slice of bread).
- Bread - crusty white bread is best! Whatever you do don't toast it, you want the soft texture of the bread and butter unmelted.
How to make it
Like I said, I can't even call this a recipe and don't worry I'm not about to show you how to spread butter on bread because that's literally what it is...butter spread on a slice of bread and topped with an anchovy!
The quickest and easiest snack ever and the taste is incredible!
More antipasti recipes to try
- Easy Marinated Olives - Ready In 5 Minutes
- Fried Sage Leaves with Anchovies
- Taralli Pugliesi (Italian Snack)
- Italian Farinata Chickpea Flatbread (La Cecina Toscana)
- Mozzarella Bocconcini, Pesto and Sun Blushed Tomatoes
- Smoked Salmon Crostini
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST or sign up to our NEWSLETTER to see more of our delicious food
📖 Full Recipe
Pane, Burro e Alice (Bread, Butter and Anchovy)
- Crusty bread
- Cut even slices of crusty bread.
- Spread a generous amount of butter on each slice of bread and top with one anchovy.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan (convection) oven
- Find out more about how nutrition is calculated.
- Check out our must have Italian Pantry Staples.
- You can also find all our Essential Kitchen Tools for Italian Cooking.