An Aperol Spritz Cocktail made with only 3 simple ingredients, it’s the only cocktail you’ll need this summer. Serve this with an antipasto platter for a true Italian aperitivo!
Say hello to your new fave…
Aperol Spritz aka my signature drink. I wouldn’t be exaggerating if I said I basically lived off this every summer (well maybe just a tad).If you’ve ever been on holiday in Italy and wondered what the bright orange stuff everyone was drinking was…well it’s THIS RIGHT HERE.
In fact when in Italy you simply just have to ask for a Spritz and they’ll bring you this.
So What Is Aperol Exactly?
Aperol is an aperitif made from a mix of bitter and sweet oranges, herbs and roots and before you say blaaa I can’t stand bitter stuff, you NEED to try this! I’ve never been a fan of over the top bitter flavours but I find that Aperol is the perfect balance of savoury and sweet especially when it’s mixed with Italian bubbles!
What’s In An Aperol Spritz Cocktail?
There are 3 main ingredients in this Italian cocktail; Aperol, Prosecco (ooh it just got really interesting) and soda. You also need plenty of ice and sliced oranges for garnish to make it extra special.
It’s made from 2 parts Aperol, 3 parts Prosecco and a splash of soda. Make sure you half fill your glass with ice first and then get pouring, you can’t go wrong. Make sure to stir it before serving and then add orange slices.
How NOT To Make An Aperol Spritz
Do not sub Prosecco for white wine…just noo. I’ve been disappointed a few times when some cheeky bartender has maybe ran out of prosecco (how is that even possible in Italy?) and sneakily used white wine instead.
Face. Not. Happy.
Food To Go With Your Cocktail;
- Easy marinated olives – 5 min recipe
- Fried sausage stuffed olives
- Stracchino and sausage crostini
- Bruschetta al pomodoro
- Bagna Cauda (anchovy, garlic & butter dip)
- Rosemary focaccia with mozzarella
If you’ve tried this Aperol Spritz Cocktail or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW MEon FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Aperol Spritz Cocktail
- 2 parts (60ml/2 fl oz) Aperol
- 3 parts (90ml/3 fl oz) Prosecco , chilled
- 1 splash soda , chilled
- 1 slice orange
- Fill a wine glass half way with ice and add the Aperol followed by the prosecco and finally a splash of soda water. Stir and add a slice of orange, enjoy!
- Make sure the soda water and Prosecco are chilled before serving
- If you don't have Prosecco try Cava or another white sparkling wine. Don't use white wine without bubbles.
- A splash of tonic water instead of soda is also nice and adds a little extra bitter flavour.
- As well as slices of orange I also like to add chopped strawberries to mine when I have them.
- Make sure to have ice on hand, this cocktail is best served chilled.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Read more about how the nutritional information is calculated here