Mozzarella in Carrozza Recipe, Italian fried mozzarella sandwiches. A simple, rustic recipe that makes an incredibly delicious snack!
Creamy mozzarella cheese stuffed sandwiches dipped in flour and egg then fried. Oh yes, this mozzarella in carrozza recipe is extra indulgent and mouth-wateringly delicious yet simple as can be. Made with pantry ingredients it’s low-cost and so easy to whip when you want good food, fast.
You know when you just feel like something extra comforting, usually after a long stressful week (or day). Something usually involving cheese and a glass of wine?
Well, this is the perfect thing for those exact moments. What’s better is it uses basic ingredients and takes no time at all to make. Ok, you need to do some dipping and dunking from flour to egg but that’s what makes this mozzarella sandwich taste SO good and it’s worth the tiny little effort.
Mozzarella in Carrozza meaning?
Mozzarella in Carrozza literally means mozzarella in a carriage. Soft melting cheese sandwiches with a crunchy, crispy outside. There are a few variations of this recipe, some adding salted anchovies or prosciutto crudo which is also incredibly delicious. Some are also dipped in breadcrumbs after the egg for and extra crunchy outside however, I prefer it this way.
Mozzarella in Carrozza recipe (fried mozzarella sandwiches)
Step by step instructions
You’ll need; sliced white bread with the crusts removed, eggs, milk, flour, mozzarella and sunflower oil for shallow frying.
Cut the mozzarella into slices (medium thickness, not too thin) and add them to one slice of bread. Cover the top of the mozzarella with another slice of bread to make a sandwich and cut diagonally into triangles.
Dust each triangle in flour making sure to cover the edges well. Dip the triangles into the egg and milk mixture quickly but making sure all edges are covered then fry in sunflower oil for a couple seconds each side until browned and crispy.
More Italian snacks;
- Fried sage and anchovies
- Rosemary focaccia with mozzarella
- Stracchino and sausage crostini
- Roasted fennel, salami, and ricotta crostini
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Mozzarella in Carrozza (fried mozzarella sandwiches)
- Add the eggs and milk to a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk together. Add the flour on a separate plate and set them both aside.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices, medium thickness. Divide the mozzarella slices between four slices of bread. Make sure no mozzarella is outside the edges of the bread.
- Cover each slice of bread topped with mozzarella with another slice of bread to create a sandwich. Cut each sandwich diagonally to make triangles.
- Add around 6 tbsp of sunflower oil into a frying pan, enough to shallow fry. Dip each triangle in flour making sure to cover all edges. One by one dip each triangle in egg quickly again making sure to cover all edges.
- Place each egg dipped triangle in the oil and fry the sandwiches in batches until browned and crispy on each side.
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Read more about how the nutritional information is calculated here