Pan fried gnocchi are soft and fluffy on the inside and crispy and delicious on the outside. These delicious little bites are incredibly easy to make and make a great quick side dish, appetizer or snack. Simply fried with salt, pepper, rosemary and so easy to adapt.
The easiest alternative to fries or roast potatoes..
Did you know you CAN fry gnocchi straight out of the bag? Oh yes, you don’t always have to boil them and toss them with a sauce. You can pan fry them to crispy, soft centred delicious little bites that make a great alternative to fries or roasted potatoes which can take the best part of 40 minutes to 1 hour to prepare.
These little beauties, however, are ready from start to finish in only 8 minutes! Yup, I’ve been making fried gnocchi this way for years now and I LOVE them.
I usually serve them as a side dish to go with steak and my favourite parmesan cream sauce. Which btw is one of my favourite meals of all time!
Do I Need To Boil Gnocchi First Before Frying?
The simple answer is NO. I’ve tried it this way a few times but it makes no difference to the cooking time (it actually takes longer because you have to boil them first) or the taste or quality. Simply toss them straight from the bag into a pan and fry.
How To Make Fried Gnocchi – Step By Step
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the fresh gnocchi and toss so they are covered in the oil and add the rosemary.
Fry the gnocchi tossing every now and then so they get crispy on all sides for around 8-10 minutes.
Tip: The gnocchi should be just crispy on the outside. Don’t fry them for too long or the centre will firm up on you’ll lose the soft, fluffy centre.
Once the gnocchi are crispy on all sides, season them with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Serve them as a side for dinner or as an appetizer with dips.
Other Ways To Enjoy Fried Gnocchi
- Add garlic and parmesan
- Add pancetta/bacon, parmesan and fresh basil
- Drizzle with basil pesto
- Add sauteed onions
- Serve with steak and drizzle with parmesan cream sauce (my absolute favourite)
More Easy Side Dishes To Try;
- Italian green beans in tomato sauce
- Roasted asparagus with gorgonzola
- Beans in tomato sauce
- White bean mash with rosemary and lemon
- Sauteed Brussels sprouts with date and walnuts
If you’ve tried this pan fried gnocchi recipe this or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Pan Fried Gnocchi
- 1 lb (500g) store bought fresh gnocchi , *see notes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 large sprig rosemary
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the fresh gnocchi and toss so they are coated in the oil, add the rosemary.
- Fry the gnocchi tossing every now and then so they get crispy on all sides for around 8-10 minutes.
- Once the gnocchi are crispy on all sides, season them with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Serve them as a side for dinner or as an appetizer with dips.
- *Store bought gnocchi are found in the refrigerated pasta section. Not to be confused with the dried pasta gnocchi variety.
- The gnocchi should be just crispy on the outside. Don't fry them for too long or the centre will firm up on you'll lose the soft, fluffy centre.
- Serves 4 as a side dish or 6-8 as an appetizer
- I always use extra virgin olive oil in all of my recipes unless stated otherwise
- When I use canned or jarred tomatoes of any kind I always use this brand for the best results and flavour
- All vegetables are medium sized unless stated otherwise
- All recipes are tested and developed using a fan oven
- Read more about how the nutritional information is calculated here